Monday, August 23, 2010

Sausage with Beans and Rice


2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 1/2 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup instant brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tbsp corn syrup
1 tbsp Dijon mustard

Directions:

1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until onion is crisp tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish.

2. Cover and bake at 350* for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Makes 6 servings; 1 cup serving size
Cal 529; fat 23g; fiber 8; cholesterol 51mg; sodium 1504mg

Well, this stuff is pretty fabulous. I was looking for a healthier version to red beans and rice, mostly for my father. This didn't come exactly out like red beans and rice, but it was still really good.  However, I did make some changes, so my actual stats are a lot better. I used EVOO instead of vegetable oil, the sausage that I used is by Johnsonville (follow link for exact product). I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment