Friday, August 20, 2010

Sausage and Rice Stew

Sausage and Rice Stew


1 pkg. (16 oz) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1 tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno slices
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz each) white kidney or cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach

1. In a Dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion, shallots, jalapeno and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add the water, broth, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.

2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in spinach. Cook 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.

Makes 6 servings; 1 2/3 cups each
Cal 369; fat 7; fiber 7


This stuff sounds a little weird, but it is really, really good. I made a few substitutions. I used the Johnsonville turkey sausage links.  It isn't as many oz as the kielbasa, but there was plenty of sausage. I didn't put the shallots in, because frankly I wasn't going to buy a bag of shallots for two of them, when it already had a large onion in it. The sweet onion was sufficient. I chopped the jalapenos very fine, and probably ended up with closer to two tablespoons, but we like things a little spicy. I didn't use long grain rice, because I wasn't going to buy a box and just use a cup and end up throwing the rest away in a few months when the critters made a home in it. I just used brown rice, and I was a little worried about that, because brown rice has a distinct flavor. I also, didn't put the spinach in. I'm not sure why. We like spinach, but I think that we were going to have a salad with it, and decided that it was just too much green leafy stuff in one meal. I made this on a Sunday cooking fest and it sat in the fridge for a week before we got around to eating it. We fought over who got to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's really good. We had a salad and breadsticks with it and it was very filling, and very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment