Monday, August 23, 2010

Ham N Taters Crockpot

Ham N Taters Crockpot


1 pound tater tots
1/2 pound ham cubes
1/2 cup onion - chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper - sliced
3/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese - shredded
6 large eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk

1. In a crockpot, layer ingredients in order: tater tots, ham, onions, green pepper and cheese.

2. Repeat two more times, ending with a layer of cheese.

3. In a bowl, beat eggs and milk

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Pour mixture over layers in crockpot.

6. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

Makes 6 servings
Calories 303; fat 12; protein 24g; carbs 24; fiber 2g; cholesterol; 26mg; sodium 1135mg.

This recipe came out fabulous. It looks really icky, but it tastes amazing. I won't be making any changes. I did use egg beaters and 1% milk.

NOTE: I have a gianormous crockpot, so I more or less ended up doubling the recipe. Not intentionally, well sort of intentionally. Otherwise I would have basically had it all dumped in the bottoma and not exactly layered. So, I have added my alterations so that if you have a large crockpot you can get it to come out ok.

I used an entire average size bag of tater tots which is actually 2 pounds.

I used a pound of ham cubes.

I sprinkled just enough cheese to lightly cover the top (it's a low fat recipe I wanted it to stay that way)

I used a small carton of egg beaters which is equivalent to 7 eggs, I then added an additional 4 regular eggs and 1/4 cup milk.


I highly recommend that you use the crockpot liners.  It did stick and burn on the bottom and sides. No scrubbing required!! I started it about 7pm and let it cook until around 7:40. My crockpot cooks for the set time and then it switches to warm. I don't recommend the 10 hours, unless your crockpot cooks that slowly on low. Next time I make this, I am going to start it when I get ready for bed - around 9:30 and let it cook until the next morning. This is very filing and just all around fabulous. I may play with it and add some veggies to it, just to give it a little more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment