Monday, September 13, 2010

Zippy Turkey and Rice

Zippy Turkey and Rice



1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 lb. Lean ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 can (14 ½ oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
2/3 cup picante sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (4oz) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, divided


1. Cook rice according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder, and cumin; heat through. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, ½ cup cheese and cooked rice. Transfer to a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3. Cover and bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Makes 8 servings; 1 ¼ cups
Cal 294; fat 9; fiber 5

 
I was pleasantly surprised by this dish.  It wasn't at all what I expected it to come out like.  I used ground turkey and added garlic, pepper, paprika and a little bit of salt.  Cumin just wasn't enough for me as far as seasonings go.  I didn't bake it.  These recipes that want you to cook it, then sprinkle cheese on it and throw it in the oven make me crazy.  I just let it simmer in a big skillet until most of the liquid was gone.  Then I sprinkled it with cheese, threw the lid on, turned the burner off, made a salad and fixed drinks and the voila dinner was done.  And no extra pan to wash; that's always a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment